When the questionable comment comes from a prepared address, though, that’s where we have to draw the line. They mean it then. And sometimes they know what they’re saying is wrong, but say it anyway, specifically to mislead and misinform.
Consider the following “17 Stupidest" I gathered, for example, all of which were delivered in meetings, addresses, or prepared interviews.
2) Literally, if we took away the minimum wage – if conceivably it was gone – we could potentially, virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.
4) They’re coming after your doughnuts!
5) It’s a racist tax.
7) Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians.
9) We have done our level best [to prevent blacks from voting]…we have scratched our heads to find out how we could eliminate the last one of them. We stuffed ballot boxes. We shot them. We are not ashamed of it.
10) So if we decrease the use of carbon dioxide, are we not taking away plant food from the atmosphere?
11) I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.
12) We are faced with a president who believes that men and women, no matter their effort, should all be equal. […] You see, some of us believe in freedom. Others want equality.
13) You’ve got a duty to die and get out of the way. Let the other society, our kids, build a reasonable life.
15) Wind is God’s way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it’s hotter to areas where it’s cooler. That’s what wind is. Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? […] I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can’t transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It’s just something to think about.
17) I think it was a mistake that President Obama and the Democrats shut the government down this fall.